Let’s say you want to use different page numbers or number formats and styles in different parts of your document, such as i, ii, iii… for the introduction and table of contents and 1, 2, 3… for everything after. The trick is to divide the document into sections and to make sure those sections aren’t linked.
Word has mainly two kinds of breaks that we use in our documents: Page Breaks and Section Breaks. When you want to change the numbering in a section, you must insert a Next Page Break, which creates a new Page/Section in your document. So, it follows, that every time you would like to change your page numbering (i.e., Arabic Numbers, Roman Numerals, etc.), you will need to insert Next Page Break in your document which creates a new Section in your document. This means that any time you want a part of your document to be different or “unconnected” from the rest of your document, you need to insert the Next Page Break in your document. Here is how:
- Create a section break in your document by going to Page Layout tab on your Ribbon, in the Page Setup group, click on Breaks and then select Next Page (this will insert a new page on your document);
- On the page after the section break, double-click either on the header or on the footer area to open the Design tab under Header & Footer Tools;
- In the Navigation group, click Link to Previous to turn it off;
Note: Headers and footers are linked separately, so if your page number is in the header, turn off linking for headers. If your page number is in the footer, turn off linking for footers.
- In the Header & Footer group, click Page Number and then pick a location and a style you like;
- To choose a format or to control the starting number, in the Header & Footer group, click on Page Number and then Format Page Numbers;
- Choose the Number format, Start at and so on for what you want to use, and then click OK;
- When you’re done double-click anywhere outside the header or the footer area to close it or click the Close Header and Footer button.
I hope that this article helped you to understand how to insert different page numbers or number formats in different sections in Word. Feel free to share your thoughts about this article using the comments section below or catch us on Twitter.